Trying to get spousal support. Has been continued twice. How can I get this heard? Why does it keep getting continued? Also husband doesn’t intend to pay me a dime since I took money out of joint checking which on date of separation wasn’t half of what was in account. Also he is considering this money I took my spousal support. My other question is can I ask for back spousal support from date of separation which was May 2017 to now? Also can I ask for my additional amount of money that is due me from joint checking account which should have been half of what was in there if I am correct.


Cases get continued for many reasons, but typically it is because the calendar is too full and the judge cannot hear every case that is scheduled for that day. Object in court to any continuance requests made by your husband.

You can ask for retroactive postseparation support in your complaint. If you did not ask for this in your complaint, then you would have to file an amended complaint. In order to file an amended complaint, you would have to schedule it for hearing and receive the judge’s permission (called leave of court) or in order to amend the complaint.

You can ask for additional sums from the checking account that you believe are due to you, but this issue would be dealt with in equitable distribution when determining the net value of assets (including bank account balances) that each spouse is to receive or has already received.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.