Contribution Factor

Dear Chad,

If you can prove you purchased the items with money that is your separate property, i.e. was earned, inherited or gifted before you were married, then those items are your separate property. You will probably have to do some tracing to show where the funds came from to purchase those items.

But, if you earned the money to purchase those items during the marriage, those items and the money earned to purchase them are marital property, and your spouse will be entitled to half of those items.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What does contribution factor mean when judge looks at equitable distribution in other words I bought and paid for nearly 90% of the furniture and living stuff am I entitled to it or what spouse only paid half household bills and i paid other half and I bought all the furniture and things with my seperate money.

Chad Ridoutt