Cook island trust

Hi, if one purchased a home during the marriage but only one spouse name is on title, can the property owner open a cook island trust that encompasses an LLC offshore, and it be protected during a divorce? Also if a lien is placed from that offshore account on the property, and filed with the local county, can this protect against a US judge? Thanks

If a house was purchased during the marriage with marital funds (funds earned during the marriage), then the house is marital property subject to being divided in equitable distribution. Offshore trusts, LLCs, etc. cannot protect it.

If a house was purchased during the marriage with a spouse’s separate property (for example, assets acquired before the date of marriage or inheritance money acquired at any time), and the house was titled in only that spouse’s name (it was not titled jointly), then the house would be that spouse’s separate property, but there could be a marital property component as well (i.e. depending on the exact facts and circumstances, the house could have a dual classification of both separate property and marital property).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.