Credit card debt

Dear madeleine:

Greetings. If you want to deal with finances, you must file an equitable distribution action BEFORE the divorce is completed. Did you do this?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello,
At this point I am not sure if equitble distribution has been filed. My Attorney sent my ex a letter stating what I wanted, in settlement in regard to the jointly owned house, and a bldg. As far as I know my ex did not respond, I have not heard from my attorney in several months either. (he does not return calls) although I have not called him as of late, and since it has been over a year since the separation and since I filed for divorce I am now waiting to hear from the attorney. To the best of my knowledge my ex does not have a lawyer here in the states. Should I be calling the my attorney to move things along, or does the attorney contact the client when the court date is set. In all honesty, my funds are low and that is why I have not called him lately. Am I being too passive? I do want this to be over.

mtp

Dear madeleine:

YES - you should call your attorney. You MUST file for equitable distribution before the court orders the divorce or you lose the claim. You may also want to find an attorney that will return your calls. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello,
I wonder if you can help me with this, I filed for divorce last feb 04. I have now been separated 1 year. My exspouse had a amex card before we were married, registered in his name. (1968) well about 5 years ago he got a suppelmental card in my name, I used it, and paid the bills. This past Oct. he cancelled my card, there was a balance of 2,000. plus I was using the miles as I was the only one paying, and using the card. (I only usded it to obtain the mile anyway) When he cancelled the card, I lost all priviledges, inc the miles I had accullated and other perks. I have not paid anything since nor have I used the card. I gave amex his address in germany to now send him the bill, and instead I have been harrassed from them, as well as their agency stating that they want me to contact him and have him pay the bill. He has not lived in the states for 1 year, and the card is still in his name. I told them I would gladly pay the bill myself if my miles etc were reinstated, but they say it is up to him to ok these things but he does respond. Whats your legal advice? am I responsible if he cancels the card, and I apparantly have no say with the amex.?

mtp