"credit for amount paid"

I am not sure about over payments, but this is what I know about when someone files a decrease. If a parent files to decrease his/her SC payment amount it can only be retroactive to the date of filing. I believe that if you two had an agreement that he would pay over and above the state guidelines, then filed for a reduction, this rule would still apply. www.ncchildsupport.com This site should help you get the answers about child support.
PS… from your post, you refer to you ex’s “court attorney” was this an appointed attorney or did your ex retain an attorney specifically for reduction. My ex’s court appointed attorney approached me at a “show cause” court date … (ex was about 6000.00 in arears). He wanted me to voluntarily agree to a reduction in CS. My ex wasn’t/isn’t working. Supposed for health reasons. I asked the attorney what “ex” had done to deal with the medical problem. Nothing… in a year. So I declined. The attorney said that they’d file paperwork for reduction… It still isn’t files and this was in May. It think these lawyers try and intimidate the recipient to get what they want plus the financially irresponsible parent can feel justified. But that is just my opinion. Contact your local Child support office, they can help.

I cannot give you a definite answer without reviewing the facts of your case, however child support cannot be modified retroactively.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a question. We had an agreement that prescribed for my ex to pay CS above the amount of state guidelines. it was in place for two years. he got that overturned. Yesterday at court his attorney said something about “credit for amounts paid” and made reference to our tax returns for the last 3 years.

Does this mean he will be able to apply that change retroactively and that any amounts he paid over state amounts will be applied to future payments?

What does that mean?