Criminal Conversion


I filed for divorce from my husband in 2017 in Virginia. My husband is a resident of VA, I am currently working overseas. My husband embarked on an affair in 2016 with a woman who lives and resides in N.C.

My question is can I file for Alienation of Affection/Criminal Conversion or do I need to wait the statutory 6 month period in VA to establish residency.
Or can I file as my husband is a resident of VA.
Thank you.


You can file an alienation of affection and/or criminal conversation claim in NC in the county in which the other woman lives as long as you can prove that the acts of alienation and/or the criminal conversation acts occurred in NC.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.