Custody Case

One of my husband’s children’s mother filed for custody in Cabarrus County. Her and the child live in Mecklenburg County. My husband and I live in Forsyth county. The original court date was Dec 14. We were unable to attend due to several reasons. We received paperwork saying they continued the case to Jan 4. We really won’t be able to attend that court date either. Is there anything we can do right now to get the case continued to a later date so we can get a lawyer and also moved to the county where the child actually resides?

He will need to attend or hire a lawyer. If he does not attend, the judge could have a hearing and rule in the mother’s favor since the father was not present, assuming he was properly served with the action and noticed for the court date.

Since neither party resides in Cabarrus County, you can file a motion to change venue to either Mecklenburg County or Forsyth County.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.