Custody when the other parent isn't there

Hello, how are you? I have a question . If my sister wanted to apply for full custody of her son how exactly would it work if she’s not at all able to locate her daughters father? 4 years ago on the day before she went into labor he totally disappeared. Til this day he hasn’t comeback, hasn’t called, nor attempted to. She’s the only parent on my nephews birth certificate. That’s because the day she gave birth he was nowhere to be found. No man has ever taken my niece to a doctors visit, school, or not even a play. Other than myself she doesn’t know any man to call her father. My sister wants full legal custody of her son just Incase. Is this possible for her to do or does she need to find him and try to get him to come to court?

1 Like

Your sister should initiate a termination of parental rights action against the father rather than a custody action. He would still have to be served with the action, but if he cannot be located with due diligence, then he can be served by publication in the city/county of which he last resided.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.