Dating after recent separation

Legally there is nothing that stops you from dating. I cannot tell you that it is a good idea to begin dating before you have dealt with any outstanding legal issues. If you begin dating so soon, you may open yourself up to allegations that this relationship existed before the separation and may make resolving your legal issues more complicated than necessary.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Is it legal to date after a month old separation as long as there is no intercourse going on. No kids are involved. I tried to basically give her everything in the legal separation but she refuses to sign just because it is something I want. I should have ended the marrigae years ago but then she cheated and I just cant live with that. I cant prove (a far a pictures go) that she cheated but know that it happened for a fact. I now have another woman interested in me in a litle more than just a friend. What can I legally do at this point with no signed agreement. I have went to an attorney for an initial consult and we have the exacat date I left the wife and house on.

Randall Smith