Deferred settelment agreement?


My stbx and I have been separated since Feb of 2008. We currently have no signed agreement. At the time we separated, he verbally agreed to support me so that I would not have to work (I have been out of the workforce for 13+ years). I have been looking for employment but have yet to secure a position. I have applied for unemployment and food assistance. I am 51 years old with a high school diploma. Not very marketable in this economy.

Up until this month, he has been paying me approximately $3300 per month. He claims that now he has no money and cannot support me any longer. This from a man who drives an Astin Martin Db9, a Porsche 911 Carrera, and a custom H2 Hummer. He has also been paying college guys to help him move our possessions out of the marital home, and has been paying them for at least a month. BTW, he has not compensated me for 1/2 of the value of any household possessions either.

My question is, can we not go ahead and finalize the divorce with the stipulation that we re-negotiate a settlement in 5 years or less?

I appreciate your help.


No, you must file an action for Equitable Distribution and Alimony prior to the entry of a divorce decree.