Different Nationality


Dear stevesulivan:

Greetings. Does your spouse live in North Carolina? If so, where?

You can file in North Carolina for divorce after you live one year and one day apart. It will cost your attorney fees plus any court filing costs (which in our office is $500.00 for filing the divorce and $100.00 court costs). If you file with an attorney, you do not need to show up in the United States to get the divorce. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I married with my boy friend when I visited U.S for 2 weeks and left the day after to my country for preparation before I move and stay with him. During that time, I found him an alcoholic and need a serious rehabilitation, he is jobless and has a huge of debt. When he wants to divorce me, I agree. We live separately for more than 9 months.
How to file this divorce, how long does it take, how much does it cost?
Should I show up in U.S for this case ?
Appreciate for your help and God bless you…