Different States!

Generally filing first does not give you much of an advantage. Where you should file depends on what issue you are going to litigate. If the issue is custody, you need to file in the state where the children have lived for the last six months. If the issuea are property, you may file anywhere where you have met the residency requirements, however if the property is located in another state, jurisdiction will most likely be transferred to that location.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Ok, I’m in NC and haven’t had enough time here to file for anything, however, the spouse is in PA and has the requirement to file there against me. Likewise, I do not have the time in PA to get a lawyer there to file against her. What are my options, as I seem to be a man without a country - and wish to file first as a strategy. Thanks.