Division of assets

Pay outs for business interests are generally paid over time, with interest. No one wants to force the closure of the business. That’s where the income is coming from and it only makes sense to keep it going. Judges, lawyers and spouses (that are getting their money from the business) understand these facts - or learn them quickly.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I own a corporation jointly with my soon to be ex. My problem is that the business has assets in excess of $500,000. She does not work. I pay her 700 a month in child support,plus 1000 in support.
If she insists on half the value of the business in a lump sum, I will not be able to afford to pay both and most likely the business will be forced to close and liquidate. Since she does not work and I am paying support, can she force me into a large lump sum payment, since this will reduce my ability to pay child support etc.