Divorce Issue


Dear ltjeff2929:

Greetings. What a horrible thing to have happen. Let’s answer:

  1. You can file for divorce by serving her with the divorce complaint by publication. You must wait the one year since her absence.

  2. Yes.

  3. You should read about how to file for divorce on the remainder of our website. Service by publication can be difficult and I recommend that you retain an attorney. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Thank You Janet for your response. You don’t know what it means to me for you to be so nice.

Jeffery S. Francis


My question is this. My ex-wife and I have not lived together since September last year. She took my two children and left. I do not know where they are.

  1. How do I go about getting a divorce?
  2. Is the 1 year rule still in effect?
  3. What do I need to do legally to do all of this?

Thank You.

Jeffery S. Francis