Enforcement of separation agreement

I don’t quite know what you mean by “filed in Iredell County”. Separation agreements are not filed. You have a notarized copy and he has a notarized copy. The agreement is enforceable. You will have to sue him to enforce it. I don’t know if it will be a breach of contract or failure to perform. If you win he could be liable for attorney’s fees and court cost.

Are you divorced? Is there any time frames stipulated in the separation agreement?

Yes, we are divorced. I guess filed is the wrong word. It is notarized. The divorce was filed in Iredell county, and incorporated the terms of the separation agreement. The divorce was signed by the Judge in November of 2007.

Okay good. You will probably have to sue him to make him abide by the agreement. Maybe he will loose his nerve when he gets a letter from an attorney. Only the court can force somebody to do something.

The answer to your original question is yes.

Yes, because the divorce was filed in Iredell county and was incorporated into the divorce decree in that county you would need to bring the action there. However, because it was incorporated you do not need to file a breach of contract action, you can file a motion and order to show cause.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hello. My separation agreement deals with the buyout of a business (he bought me out). As part of the agreement, he is to pay me a dividend based upon a percentage of income derived from several employees that I brought into the company. The separation agreement is filed in Iredell County. The business, however, is now located in Mecklenburg County. Can I file a breach of contract action, based upon the separation agreement, in Mecklenburg county (where I reside and where the business is located)?