Ex spouse caused extra attorney fees and violated agreements

I have a few questions:
1- My ex spouse has done nasty spiteful things the past 2 and 1/2 years now causing me to incur alot more charges in attorneys fees than normal due to having to have my attorney deal with his actions. For example, he continuously withholds/purposely does not provide some of his financials and expenses( i think to drag out/put off alimony), he stole a car that he gave to our daughter, he withheld my car registration for a year, he continuously tried to cut me off our auto insurance policy, he refused to pay items for our daughter, and other bills that he agreed to in our post separation agreement, he refused to sign insurance check to pay a roofing company that replaced our roof, he lied and did not do alot of things he agreed to do, etc… Is it possible to file a motion for attorneys fees from an ex spouse who’s deceptive/spiteful actions caused me extra attorneys fees?
2- I recently filed a motion for cause and contempt against him for violating the post separation support agreement and 2 other things that were in our mediation agreement. Somehow I was missing some of the pages of the documents and so the show cause was denied for missing paperwork, but what about the contempt? Is that part pending or denied also? The papers were stamped as “filed” with the court. Also, if the contempt is pending, will my ex spouse receive notice of the contempt against him?

(1) Yes, if you have claim for attorney’s fees, you can request that the court award you your attorney’s fees from your ex-husband due to having to handle unnecessary legal issues caused by your husband without legitimate purpose and/or in bad faith.

(2) You will need to check the document that states your motion was denied but likely the entire motion was denied with nothing surviving and you will need to refile with the appropriate paperwork.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.