Ex-Spouse goes back to school, do I pay MORE?

I pay child support to my ex-spouse. I will use hypothetical numbers in my example.

I make $75K/yr. She makes $35K/yr. I pay $500/month in child support. (fake numbers) Both of us working full time for the last 4 years.

If she decided to change her full-time status, to part-time status and accept an hourly pay cut to go back to school for a career change, can she request an increase in child support because she chose to go to school?

I would expect that because she’s shown she can earn at least that amount, and it’s her own decision, that I wouldn’t be required to pay her more.


In my opinion most judges would not consider her voluntary reduction in pay to be a substantial change allowing for a modification of support.