Ex spouse refuses to communicate to divide property

My ex husband has refused communication with me for the past two years. We do not have children and do not own a home or vehicles together. The divorce was recently granted, and I would like to collect my personal belongings (legal documents, jewelry, clothes) and my vehicle that has been on his rental property for two years. The title of the vehicle is in only my name. I would like to know if there is any way possible for a family member to collect my things and tow the vehicle. I live overseas and cannot be there. I would have gone to the property of my ex sooner but my safety was at risk (guns on property, alcoholism). I was not happy with the lack of service provided by my lawyer. I do not think I was well advised. I have contacted the sheriff’s office regarding the vehicle but am waiting for a response. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only way your family members could collect your things is if your ex-husband agrees to let them enter his property and house. You can send your ex-husband a letter by certified mail listing the things you need to collect that are rightfully yours and expressly stating that you no longer consent to him having those things or you will consider criminal charges.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.