Father does not exercise visitation

You can go to court yourself to get the custody order modified. If the two of you agree you can do a consent order and submit it to the court. If you file to have the custody modified you will go through a court ordered mediation process, if you agree the mediator will draw up a parenting agreement, that you both sign and then it becomes legally binding. Some counties also have self serve clinics available to parties who are going to try and handle litigation on their own.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Eight years ago my X and I divorced. I was awarded primary custody and he got secondary visitation in the form of a custody consent order. When my daughter started school and the X moved to another county he stopped getting my daughter on Thursday nights, Sunday nights and the Wednesday in between on his own accord. I have never changed the custody consent order to reflect the changed visitation he has done for the last 6 years. However, we are now going thru a child support modification for the first time ever so I’m wondering if I should get the original custody consent order modified as well.

How can I do this myself? My funds are extremely limited.

Michelle Blackwood