Fraudulant Tax Filing

Dear November:

My advice is to contact a CPA or an attorney that specializes in tax preparation. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My spouse was supposed to file our taxes married filing jointly and pay taxes owed on a retirement account that had been cashed out. However, I just discovered that she filed single head of household with three dependent children (which is valid) and was also able to claim an earned income credit. Instead, she spent the tax money that was supposed to be paid and filed a tax return stating that she was single. What is my next step? We have been seperated for about 2 months in regards to this matter. Please advise.