Help separated over year pregnant with other man child

Hello… I have a question my husband and I have been separated for a little over a year now… We both are seeing other people… I been trying to get our divorce done but i just move back to nc and August will be 6 month and i know i can file then… He been here for a year now… We have 2 kids together one was born out of wedlock and one in… On top of that he knows im pregnant now due at the end of September… I been told that since we are not divorced that his last name has to go on the birth certificate? Is this true? We both dont have money for a lawyer and we are agree on our kids… I have printed him out divorce papers and only thing we have to do is fill them out… So can someone please answer this question for me…

Since the baby was conceived while you were married to your husband, your husband will be considered the legal father. To change this, the biological father would have to sign an affidavit of parentage and proceed with a legitimation proceeding and/or have paternity established through the courts after the baby has been born, which will include DNA testing.

As to the baby’s last name, NC law (N.C.G.S. 130A-101(e)) states “the surname of the child shall be the same as that of the husband, except that upon agreement of the husband and mother…any surname may be chosen.”

If your husband has been a resident of the State of NC for the last 6 months, then he can file the absolute divorce complaint and you can accept service of the complaint. Otherwise you will have to wait until August when you have been a resident for the previous 6 months.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.