He's filing in NC, I live in another state

If he’s filing in NC then it will all go through NC. Until he files you would not need an attorney and possibly not even then unless you want to file equitable distribution, custody or alimony claims. I think that you could actually do all that yourself but in order to protect yourself, if you want to file any of that, I would suggest at least consulting an attorney on the final agreement. And it would be a good idea for him to do the same.
If you have a separation agreement it may cover all of your interests so neither of you may need an attorney. I don’t know much about collaborative divorce but it sounds more amicable than fighting it in court.
Good Luck to you!

If your marital property is located in the state where you live it might make more sense to have the lawsuit proceed in the state where you live, you should consult with an attorney in your state to find out what the laws are. If your Husband files any court action in North Carolina you should consult with an attorney in North Carolina as soon as possible.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband moved to NC last year and plans to file for divorce soon. I live in another state. Should I get an attorney in NC or in my home state? He says he’s not going to be the first one to hire an attorney and I think we’d prefer to do mediation or a colloborate process but I want to make sure my interests are best represented. Any suggestions?