House - Verbal Agreement

A few yrs back, my husband I am now divorcing, said he would buy a house for me after 8yrs married at the time. He still then living with his elderly mother at her house. There was an agreement between he and I, before I took his offer of the house that he would add me on title as husband and wife. Also, he would pay all utilities, maintain in and out, and some other things and no rent of course. He bought house in cash from his separate funs from his stocks. I live in that house. He broke his verbal agreement and promise. Did not know of his affairs at the time. He gaslighted me saying he never made any such agreement. I have screenshots of FB messages between us about he and I meeting with real estate agent before his buy, the MLS listing, about how I was comping (market evaluating) my old house I bought many yrs ago before marriage to then sell it. Odds and pieces of communication betwn us in recordings,emails,FB screenshots which might not amount to much or may. A rational/common sense mind would see that there was that intention, and a wife would expect her name on title to have security after yrs of marriage and he paying for utilities and more. NO way did I have funds to be a renter, able to pay for utilities and maintain, considering, I have no money kept financially starved while he is a millionaire. This is a crucial matter.
Do I have a chance to have that verbal agreement hold up?

No, a verbal agreement will not hold up. But you can use that information to show his character or for some other relevant issue in an alimony trial for example.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

1 Like