How do I file for a change of custody

Original custody arrangement was for 50/50 custody of my 2 teenagers. My daughter has decided to live with me full time while my son is still 50/50. How do I file for an official change of custody?
Thank you

If your custody terms are in a court order, then you would have to file a motion to modify child custody. In the motion, you would have to allege a substantial change in circumstances and facts to back up the substantial change in circumstances since the time the current order was entered.

If your custody terms are in a separation agreement, then you and the other parent can discuss and agree on a new schedule and enter an amendment of the separation agreement that is signed and notarized by both of you.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.