How is CS computed if ex has been out of work?

If your ex is voluntarily underemployed then the court will most likely not adjust child support. If your ex is not employed but this is not voluntary, child support may be adjusted to account for that.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

same goes for you. if you are underemployed, you may have your income assigned by the state too.

Ex has been out of work for several years. CS was computed serveral years ago at my former FT income and ex’s former FT income. I now work PT and ex lives off new spouse and does odd jobs under the table. If ex tries to get an adjustment what gross monthly income is plugged in? Can ex end up paying nothing or having CS drastically reduced because now unemployed? [?]