How to file for abandonment

Abandonment is an issue that would be a factor in determining alimony and the division of other assets. There is no separate lawsuit for abandonment. If you intend to pursue alimony or property distribution you will need to do that prior to the entry of your divorce. Depending on your circustances you may have a hard time pursing alimony if he has not provided you with any support in the five years you have been separated.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Iam filing for a divorce but do not know where my husband is. He left me with no money and I had not worked in 5 years. Iam doing a service by publication but how can I get him for abandonment? If someone could help me I would appreciate it because Iam still trying to get on my feet. I have to do this all on my own because I have no money for lawyer fees. Thank-You

Melissa Dwidar