I live in GA need to file for Divorce in NC

I live in GA and was told that since my soon to be ex-husband resides in NC that I would have to file for divorce in the state in Which he resides.

Are you able to confirm?

You can file for divorce in either state assuming you meet the residency requirements for that state and any other requirements (for example, you have been separated for the length of time that is required by that state).

I am not licensed in Georgia and therefore cannot give legal advice about divorces in Georgia.

To file for an absolute divorce in North Carolina, you must meet each of the following:

(1) At least one party is a resident of the State of NC and has been a resident of the State of NC for the 6 months preceding the filing of the action.

(2) You must have a valid marriage.

(3) At least one party must have separated with the intent to remain permanently separate and apart.

(4) You must have lived continuously separate and apart for at least one year without resumption of the marital relationship.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.