IRA Rollover Question

If I receive a portion of my spouses’s 401(k) pursuant to a QDRO agreement, am I then able to rollover my own personal IRA into the 401(k) account I received due to the QDRO? I am under 59.5 and would like to be able to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty on my IRA account by rolling the funds over into the 401k account if that’s possible?

You may be able to roll your QDRO retirement funds into your current retirement account. Check with the plan administrator of your current retirement account. Also, when your spouse’s retirement account is ready to be divided, that plan administrator will contact you about where to put the funds.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.