Job Location

Dear bugged:

Greetings. Yes, your wife can file for divorce one year and one day after you leave the state of North Carolina. She could file for equitable distribution now though (as soon as you leave) and she would be entitled to half of your IRA that you acquired during the marriage. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife is working, I am not.We are both 60. I am trying to find appropriate work in another state.I have had several offers but I need to relocate to get the job. If I move to an apartment in that state to obtain a job can she file divorce against me as she does not wish to move. Also if she did file how much of my IRA monies would she be entitled to. Thank you