Left marital home

My mother in law left her marital home 2 years ago. She couldn’t take the emotional and verbal abuse anymore after 35 years.

She is on the title along with my FIL. The house was purchased in 2001. She was the only one working since he is on disability.

Can he claim she abandoned the house and take it her interest ? What can she do to protect herself ? We’ve heard rumblings of him wanting to sell it.

Thank you

No, the wife is still entitled to half of the equity in the marital residence.

To protect herself, the wife should file an equitable distribution action in court. That way, the distribution of all the marital property, including the equity in the home, can be addressed in a court order enforceable by contempt of court.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.