Legal separation

i would like to know how to file for a legal separation. it must be as affordable as possible since i was layed off since january. is there do it yourself? thank you

You don’t actually file for separation in NC. You are separated once one of you has moved out of the marital home with the intention of living somewhere else and without the intention of resuming the marital relationship. The separation agreement itself, once it’s notarized and signed, is a contract. A breach of its terms is enforceable under contract law. Alternatively, when you file for divorce you can ask for your separation agreement to be incorporated into the divorce decree. At that time, it would be punishable by contempt if its terms are not followed. You can go either way with your agreement. It’s up to you. You don’t need an attorney to prepare a separation agreement, but it’s a good idea, especially if there’s a lot of debt, a lot of assets or children. There are sample agreements available to you through our DIY service.