Legal Seperation due to Prison

What is the law for someone who is incarcerated for an extended period of time enter into the seperation law? per say will I need to file the year seperation or has the 1 1/2 yr he has been gone cover it? No conjecical visits, etc… he is do to get out in May of 2008. We have a daughter together,