Long Distance Proceedings

My ex wife lives 6 hours from me in very rural eastern , NC.

We were divorced in Dec 2015. There’s some unfinished business with property etc. she is now with her 3rd lawyer. I, convinced their strategy is to disadvantage me by making me travel. For ongoing litigation etc etc

Is it possible to turn the table by making them travel to me, even if it means filing some “other” charges in my geographic area ?


If there are pending claims in the county in which your ex-wife resides, then that is likely the proper venue for the hearing of those claims. Having a lawyer to represent you in the county with the court case should decrease the amount of times you have to appear for court or other litigation-related events.

Since you’re already divorced, and there is already an outstanding court case, there is probably nothing else you could file in your county. If custody and/or child support are at issue but not part of the court case in the county where your ex-wife resides, you could file those claims in your county.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.