Lot purchased after separation, before divorce

So who paid all the taxes (if its you) and were you a couple while you was paying the taxes if so then she entitle to half of all profit or debt that comes from it, the best thing you can do is have it refinanced in your name only.

quote:
Originally posted by FATHERDORIGHT
So who paid all the taxes (if its you) and were you a couple while you was paying the taxes if so then she entitle to half of all profit or debt that comes from it, the best thing you can do is have it refinanced in your name only.
I paid all the taxes, we were not a couple when taxes were paid, the lot is paid for. Thanx for your help...

The separation agreement must say that any purchases or liabilites after the date of separation belong to the person who acquired them. However, I tried to buy a house while I was separated, and I was told by two attorneys that my estragned spouse could legally put her name on the deed if she wanted to. Not sure why, but that’s what I was told.

Legal terminology mystifies me, but this may have some bearing on this issue–taken from this website earlier…
G.S. 50-20(b)(2) has two special provisos, the so-called spousal gift provision and the exchange provision. Property exchanged for separate property remains separate, regardless of how titled, “and shall not be considered to be marital property unless a contrary intention is expressly stated in the conveyance.”
Some property is not, properly speaking, either marital or separate. For example, property acquired after separation does not fall within the statutory definitions of either marital or separate property. Post-separation appreciation of marital property is itself neither marital nor separate but, rather, must be treated as a distributional factor.
Can I go forward with clearing the title?
Many thanx in advance!

After our separation I traded electric service right-of-way for an adjoining development through my (separate, non-marital)property for a lot adjacent to my own. My ex had her name on the title as ‘1/2 interest’. This because I wasn’t informed of the separation. She has paid NO taxes on this lot ever, and I would like her name removed so I can sell and move on. Can I do this? How do I start?