Mediation Complete

I was wondering if there is any way to get out of a mediation agreement. I do not believe it was fair. My attorney did not advocate even once for my side and actually encouraged me to give in to the other side. I was there until very late at night without having anything to eat since noon - something I was not prepared for; and I was not informed as to how the process was going to work, at least not in any relevant manner. I felt like I was sold a cheap car - one that I’m stuck with for the rest of my life.

The court can overturn a separation agreement if it was signed due to fraud, coercion, ignorance or lack of mental capacity. These grounds are often very difficult to prove, especially if you had legal representation when you entered into the agreement.

Child related provisions, however can be modified by going to court. For instance, if you are unhappy with the custody or child support arrangement detailed in your separation agreement, you can always file a motion and ask the judge to alter the agreement to meet the best needs of the child. Property and support related provisions, on the other hand are generally not modifiable.