1. If this is the custody mediation through the court they will prepare a parenting agreement for you. If this is a mediation of equitable distribution you would need to present an order signed by both parties to the court for the judges signature.

  2. The forms required depend on the county in which your action is pending.

  3. You would need a financial information and documentation of your expenses.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I will be attending mediation very soon. My questions are the following.

  1. If we decide to settle everything what do I do as an individual without representation in regards to the court.
  2. If we leave a few issues open, I am certain of court. I will not have representation to assist, so are there forms I need to bring with me to court?
  3. In regards to the above, I am sure the issue is alimony. What would be a good rule of thumb as far as what I need to show that I can not provide?