Military family

My husband of 22 years left me and his family in September 10 2019. He has given me a letter of separation in October of 2019 with a proposal of which I did not sign. He is paying the mortgage payment and a loan we took out on the extension of the home but nothing else…
he is making almost $100000 while I’m making in $50000.
I spoke with a military lawyer in October of 2019 and received a bit more information of my rights as a military spouse.
Is it true that after a year of separation and with no clarification on finances he will be able to file for divorce and give me nothing?

After one year of separation your husband can file for absolute divorce. If he does, and if you do not have equitable distribution and alimony finalized in either a separation agreement or court order, then you will need to file a counterclaim within 30 days of being served with the divorce complaint for the claims of equitable distribution and alimony so those issues can be preserved and ruled on or settled in the future.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.