Minor Name Change

"At any time can a parent change a minor child’s last name without the other parent’s permission?
In North Carolina, a parent may not change the name of a minor child without the consent of the other parent, except in the following instances: the other parent is deceased; the minor child has reached the age of 16; the minor child has the consent of the custodial parent who has supported the minor child and the clerk of court is satisfied that the non-custodial parent has abandoned the minor child; or the non-custodial parent has been adjudicated as having abandoned the minor child."
I believe that you have to establish abandonment and have his parental rights terminated before you can change the name…not absolutely sure about this. If you terminate his rights then he would no longer be finacially responsible. I’m not sure if you can get the last 3 years support enforced…maybe an attorney will respond.

I have a child who’s father has not paid support in 3yrs and has had no contact for almost 2yrs. I would like to have my childs last name changed to mine, I understand you have to have established abandoment? What is the process for establishing abandoment? And will he still be responsible for his court ordered child support, even after a name change?