Modification in Child Support

Her husband’s income can be figured into the child support calculations when she has that child. I don’t believe that this would only make a difference if she were staying home to take care of the child that your husband is paying support for.

Her Husband’s income will be included in the child support calculation. If she quits her job and it would benefit your child as well, the court may not impute income to her. However, if your child will not benefit from her staying home, the court will likely impute income to her.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband’s ex-wife is a teacher but has recently become pregnant with her new husband. She also just recently obtained a full-time teaching job after going back to school to earn this degree and in the process increasing my husband’s child suport. Taking her back for a modification now that she is wokring would not make much of a difference in my husband’s support obligation since he now makes more. So we are fine with what the amount is now.

However, if she decides to stay at home to raise this new baby, what income will be imputed to her if and when she ever decides to take my husband back for more child support?

I would hope it would be at least what she would be making as a teacher wiht her years of experience etc.