Modification of Child Support

My divorce was final in NC back in 2009. We did not have attorneys during our divorce, since we handled it ourselves. Child support was recorded as a certain amount in 2009 in the separation agreement. At that time we were both in living in NC until 2011. My ex took another job in California and moved. I also moved out of state back home to Texas. We have not modified child support since then and I feel it needs to be modified. What steps do I need to take to have the child support modified? Can I modify through an attorney here in Texas or do I need to request the help of an attorney in NC?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) governs jurisdiction when it comes to custody matters. Since your original child support award was set forth in a separation agreement, rather than a court order, there is no child support order in NC to modify, so to speak. You’ll be starting fresh, and getting a new order (not a modification), but first you need to determine what state has jurisdiction. Since no parties live in NC anymore, NC is not the appropriate place to pursue a child support order.

To learn more about the UCCJEA, read our article discussing which state has jurisdiction in custody cases.