Moving kids out of state without fathers approval

I tried searching but came up empty handed. Me and my ex-wife have been divorced for over a year now. She is possibly relocating to Tennessee in Feb, but I dnt want my kids that far from me. We do not have a custody agreement listed per the court ruling, besides what we have agreed to between ourselves. What is recommended for me to do?

Thank you

If you do not have a court order for custody, then you will need to file a custody lawsuit against the mother (ideally you would file now and not wait). A court order would determine the custody and visitation schedule if she were to move to TN and it would determine whether the children relocated to TN with her or remained in NC with you.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.