Moving out of state

If my papers say that I have sole custody and ex has only supervised visitation, I get that I cannot move out of state if it would make the visitations impractical or impossible.

But, what if ex moves out of state first? Would that then free me up to move with my child to a different state (for job purposes, for example)? Would I still be forced to remain in state based on the chance that he might one day move back, or would I be free to move about as needed with my child?

If he moves out of state and the move makes his visitation impossible or impractical then you would be able to move as your move would not further hinder his visitation.