Moving out of state


Probably not. As long as everything in the divorce and seperation is amicable. However, you will want to make sure that you notify the clerks office, where the seperation was filed, of your address. You wouldn’t want someone to give a bogus address for you to them and never be notified of your hearing.


Dear dz:

Greetings. No, as long as your wife stays here then you can still file here. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife and I are filing for legal separation and will file for divorce after a year and a day. My question is, will me moving to MI have any affect on this? We do not have any children and she has no problems with me moving there, I just wanted to know if there could be any legal issues with this. Thanks!