Moving out of state


Part of the answer to your question will depend on what your consent order says and if it’s temporary in nature or permanent. The other part will rely on what county and what judge you get. However, if dad has been exercising regular visitation, it is an uphill battle for you to move. There are a number of way to go about it, but I would say to bring an action before the court to modify visitation time appropriate with your move. Good luck!

Ketan P. Soni
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex and I separated about 5 months ago. I have physical custody of our 3 children. My children and I do not plan to live in the state of NC for too long. I am currently in the process of filing for legal custody of my children. We are not legally married. In the consent order my ex stated that I will be unable to take the children and move to California, because that