Moving to AK with child

If there is nothing in your order that prevents you from moving, then you are free to do so. However, you should inform your spouse within a reasonable period of time before you move. He may file a lawsuit and ask the court to force you to remain in the state, however if he is in the military and moves often it is unlikely the court will order you to remain here.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m planning to move to Alaska with my STBH… I went through all of my paperwork concerning my joint custody of my minor child. I have physical custody and my ex has only visted twice in the last 2 yrs… he does however have visitation rights to her every 1st and 3rd weekend and alternating holidays, etc. If there is nothing in my divorce decree saying I can not move out of state with my daughter, is there another law that I need to be aware of before doing so? Our move is scheduled for Feb. 08, so i want to make sure everything is in order… I have not yet informed my ex husband, he is military and currently deployed to iraq, however I know he will try to tell me I can not legally relocate with our child. (as he did so in the past when I moved 45 mins out of town).

I also want to add I have been documenting every encounter with my exhusband since he and I seperated (8 pages worth of broken promises to visit with our child), just in case.

head in a tizzy
Ms. Crystal