Must I file for divorce in my county of residence?


Dear confused:

Greetings. You may file for alimony and child support in the county you or your spouse live in. Child support is set in accordance with the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines, and that is generally not up for dispute.

Also, not every case in front of a judge has to be the norm and most cases settle before they ever see the inside of a courtroom. Trust that the situation will be negotiated out to your benefit and hire the best attorney to do this. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been separated from my husband for two years and am finally ready to file for divorce. I have talked to an attorney in my home town but she says the judges in this county are not usually favorable to the woman in regards to alimony or child support. They usually only allow what the standards say and do not look at standard of living for the children. May I file in another county or must I file in my home county? My husband has been verbally and emotionally abuseive to both me and the kids and will pay as little as possible for their support. My kids have had a tough time already I do not want them to lose their house and move away from their friends. Thanks, I appreciate the input!