My Wife is getting served this week (still living together)

My lawyer is filing a complaint and my wife should be served this week. I am seeking a Divorce from Bed and Board due to her alcohol addiction, the effects it is having on the family, the children, and her refusal to separate or go to in-patient rehab. I have previously informed her that unless she goes to rehab and gets sober, the marriage is over.

That being said, what can I expect once she is served? I know that she will have 30 days to respond, but I am more concerned with when will she leave the marital home if the DBB is granted with me as the plaintiff. Will we be living together while she has time to respond? I just am not sure what happens next.

She has 30 days to respond to the lawsuit, but she can request an additional 30 days (for a total of 60 days from the time she is served) to respond, as long as the request is filed prior to the first 30 days from service expiring.

She may voluntarily leave after she is served with the lawsuit and/or consults with an attorney. But she may want to contest it, which would mean she could continue living in the marital residence until there is a hearing/trial on the issue and a judge enters an order granting your claim for divorce from bed and board and ordering her to leave the marital residence.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.