Name change of child

She would not be able to change your son’s name without your consent. The only time that can happen is if one of the parents cannot be found, and the court determines that the parent has abandoned the child. You should contest the name change with the clerk of court once she files.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have a 13 year old boy who has told me that his mother is encouraging him to change his name by adding her maiden name to it. My question is, can she legally have any part of his name changed without my consent…

Please help me with this!