NC Law for half of 401 K and retirement


where can I find a copy of the law or statute that states a spouse is entitled to half of the money that the 401k or retirement accounts grew during the marriage? i go to court Tuesday. thank you


There is no law that states that exactly, but N.C.G.S. 50-20(c ) is what you’re looking for. It states that the division of the net value of the marital estate is to be equal unless equal is not equitable.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.