NC Step parent adoption


My daughters biological father has been talking to my husband and myself about letting my husband adopt my daughter. If we have his consent, what papers do we need to file to get this before the judge and which court will be presiding over the hearing? Superior? If he signs the consent form, what does this mean? Does he still have rights to see her and visit with her? Is their a waiting period, before it becomes official? Is he not suppose to see her for a certain amount of time?


If the father allows for your husband to adopt the child his parental rights will have to be terminated and he will thereafter have no child support obligation and no visitation rights. The proceedings will take place in juvenile court, and area of the law in which I do not practice. I would suggest you contact juvenile court in order to get a idea of how long the process will take and what is involved.